2017 EDITION PIPESTONE VISITOR'S GUIDE PAGE 7
1. O>D CITz HA>>ͳPIP STON COhNTz MhS hM
The Pipestone County Museum is located in one of Pipestone’s most
disƟnct ƋƵartǌite ďƵildinŐs. /t was ďƵilt in 18ϵ6 and served as the CitǇ
Hall ƵnƟl 1ϵ60. dhe ďƵildinŐ now hoƵses the mƵseƵm, with a Įne
collecƟon of historic arƟfacts arranŐed in interpreƟve eǆhiďits, as
well as an eǆtensive research liďrarǇ.
2. TH MOOR B>OC< ͳ SANDSTON 'AR'Oz> S
dhe ŐarŐoǇle-like stone carvinŐs on this 18ϵ6 ďƵildinŐ are the work of
>.H. Moore, local ďƵsinessman, contractor and scƵlptor of the period.
dhe ƋƵartǌite for this and manǇ other ďƵildinŐs is from a ƋƵarrǇ
owned and operated ďǇ Moore, located jƵst north of town.
ϯ. & RRIS 'RAND B>OC<ͳMASONIC >OD' HA>>
&rom 18ϵϵ to 1ϵ16 the second Ňoor of this ďƵildinŐ was the site of
the &erris 'rand Opera HoƵse. /t was one of several opera hoƵses in
Pipestone, ďƵt was the most eleŐant. 1ϵ17 Masons remodeled 2nd
Ňoor, 'erman arƟst painted mƵrals in lodŐe room.
ϰ. TH CA>hM T INN
Completed in 1888 the CalƵmet was hailed as the ͞Įnest hotel in
SoƵthwestern Minnesota.͟ dhe CalƵmet was constrƵcted of ŐreǇish-
pink ƋƵartǌite trimmed with red SioƵǆ ƋƵartǌite. dhe comďinaƟon
of hƵes from stone from different ƋƵarries provides an interesƟnŐ
contrast. dhe ďƵildinŐ was totallǇ renovated in the late 1ϵ70͛s.
5. HISTORIC MAIN STR T
Most of the ďƵildinŐs on Main Street are of the ͞vernacƵlar͟ stǇle
and a look at ďƵildinŐ tops oŌen tells the Ǉear each was ďƵilt and
perhaps the oriŐinal owner. njoǇ the several stǇles of ďƵildinŐs, now
hoƵsinŐ Pipestone ďƵsinesses.
6. SzNDICAT B>OC< ͳ ' z RMAN͛S
BƵilt in 1884 in the /talianate stǇle, the SǇndicate Block is the oldest
eǆisƟnŐ stone ďƵildinŐ in the Historic district. dhe projecƟon of the
cornice alonŐ the roof line displaǇs a ƵniƋƵe ďrand of architectƵral
detail naƟve to the Pipestone area. dhe ceremonial pipe crossed with
ďow and arrow tells of the siŐniĮcance of the pipestone ƋƵarries to
7. AR>z HOSPITA> ͵ BROWN HOSPITA>ͬ< z S BhI>DIN'
dhis strƵctƵre oriŐinallǇ hoƵsed the oĸce of pioneer doctor Aleǆ
H. Brown on the Įrst Ňoor. dhe second Ňoor served as one of
Pipestone͛s earliest hospitals. BƵilt at the tƵrn of the centƵrǇ, the
architectƵre is inŇƵenced ďǇ the ͞YƵeen Anne͟ stǇle Ƶsed in manǇ
residences of the period.
ϴ. TH COhRTHOhS
dhe Pipestone CoƵntǇ CoƵrthoƵse is perhaps the ďest eǆample of
the skilled craŌsmanship and ďeaƵtǇ in architectƵre ƵsinŐ SioƵǆ
ƋƵartǌite. Completed in 1ϵ02, the coƵrthoƵse was desiŐned in
Zichardson ZomanesƋƵe stǇle ďǇ architect 'eorŐe Pass.
9. PISCOPA> CHhRCH
ChƵrches plaǇed an important role in area seƩlement. dwo ďlocks
east of the coƵrthoƵse on 4th Street SoƵtheast is the St. PaƵl pisco-
pal ChƵrch ďƵildinŐ. /t was constrƵcted of SioƵǆ ƋƵartǌite in 18ϵ2 and
is one of the oldest standinŐ chƵrch ďƵildinŐs in Pipestone.
10. PR SBzT RIAN CHhRCH
dhe &irst PresďǇterian ChƵrch was orŐaniǌed in 1878. dhe present
SioƵǆ ƋƵartǌite ďƵildinŐ was erected in 1ϵ00. Note the skillfƵllǇ hewn
arches aďove the doorwaǇ and ďell tower. dhe ďell weiŐhs 1,310
poƵnds and when it was installed was the larŐest in Pipestone.
11. CARN 'I >IBRARz
Pipestone͛s Įrst PƵďlic >iďrarǇ was hoƵsed in the old CitǇ Hall. dhe
new liďrarǇ was ďƵilt with the aid of CarneŐie fƵnds and opened in
1ϵ04. /n 1ϵ75 the commƵnitǇ liďrarǇ was moved to the hiŐh school
and this ďƵildinŐ was renovated and chanŐed to the Pipestone Senior
For a more detailed walking tour, please visit the Pipestone County
Museum and pick up a walking-tour-booklet. Read and follow this
toƵr ďook as ŝt ďrŝnŐs ǇoƵ to 39 dŝīerent hŝŐhlŝŐhts ŝn WŝƉestone.
Enjoy Historic Walking Tour
do reallǇ enjoǇ the Pipestone Historic istrict, take a walkinŐ toƵr.
/n the space of a walk of aďoƵt a doǌen ďlocks, ǇoƵ can enjoǇ and learn aďoƵt mƵch of Pipestone͛s rich architectƵral past.
While enjoǇinŐ ǇoƵr walk, stop in at anǇ of the several stores and shops alonŐ the waǇ.
'Ƶided toƵrs of the Historic istrict maǇ also ďe arranŐed with the Pipestone CoƵntǇ MƵseƵm.
DOWNTOWN ͳ START AT MAIN & HIAWATHA
2nd Ave. N.W.
2nd Ave. N.W.
2nd St. S.W.
3rd St. S.W.
4th St. S.E.
5th St. S.E.